Sunday, March 11, 2007

Those wiley handicapped people.

On occasion I like to go to concerts, plays, musicals, etc. and when I do, I usually go with a couple of friends, or maybe my sister-in-law and my brother or niece. In the past, I’ve encountered minor problems when purchasing tickets, however. See you can’t just log on to ticketmaster or call them if you want a wheelchair accessible seat. Those tickets are sold only through the venue’s box office. Many times I have called the Alltel box office and requested to purchase 1 wheelchair accessible seat, and 2 accompanying seats, only to be told that they will only sell 1 accompanying seat for each wheelchair seat. I usually argue and end up with the requested tickets, but it’s a hassle.

Recently, I wanted to purchase tickets for myself, my mom, and her friend Joyce to see a show at the Robinson. This is my experience. I called and stated that I wanted to purchase Taylor Hicks tickets (enough already, it isn’t about that) and waited about 2 minutes for the voice on the line to respond, and when she ddidn’t, I said, “are you still there?” to which she replied, “yes, I’m getting on the computer, we don’t sell many of those tickets on the phone.” She proceeded to take my order, and then stated, “we can only sell 1 accompanying seat for the wheelchair accessible seat. You can only sit together if I can find an empty seat in your row.” To which I stated, “I just don’t understand how you can limit the number of seats I can purchase, but you can buy as many as you’d like,” to which I received, “I SAID I MIGHT find an empty seat on your row.” Now I’m generally nonconfrontational, but this attitude hacked me off and the “well that was rude” escaped before I could stop it. She then laughed and said, “I didn’t mean to be rude. We just have to tell people that.” And get ready for this part, “Because some handicapped people take advantage.”

Now will SOMEBODY please explain to me how a handicapped person wanting to purchase an accessible seat and X number of seats could be taking advantage??!! Folks, the tickets cost the same price!! So if I purchased 1 accessible seat, and 4500 accompanying seats, how is that taking advantage, and what’s their beef, they fill their auditorium???

I just don’t understand how they can legally limit the number of tickets I can purchase but not limit a non-handicapped person. If they are concerned about the availability of wheelchair accessible and accompanying seats, why can’t it be first come first serve like it is for the general public??

6 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger wiebke said...

I don't know how you still manage to deal with talking to those people. When I read this post it conjured up feelings that I reserve for especially irritating circumstances and I was only READING it. I think you should write a letter to the editor or something. I don't see how they can legally do that. I guess that is something that David could comment on.

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, I like the idea of a letter to the editor. Sometimes embarassment will tone down stupidity in a way nothing else will.

I'm sorry you have to deal with crap like that. I hope you ended up with enough tickets.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger BaalShemTov said...

wow. I hate to be devil's advocate but there has to be some reason why they would do that. I'm not saying it's morally acceptable or even a good reason, but I bet lawyers were involved. On the other hand, they could just be real assholes. Unbelievble...how hard is it to just do a few small things for a few people. That would make the universe so much easier to deal with.
JBIRD

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I think it's crazy also. Sounds like the wonderful double standard to me. Buzzards!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger rebstar said...

this makes me so angry!! and like wendy said, i'm just READING about it!

were you able to get enough tickets?? has the show already happened? (i'm a bit late in reading this!!) how WAS IT?? :)

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A great friend of mine has a child that is handicapped..she has cerebral palsy and also uses a walker to get around plus 2 kids that are not handicapped. She tried to buy tickets to the "Wiggles" and got the same run around..makes me so furious! Plus it made the little girl cry over it and feel like it was her fault they didn't all get to go. I think there needs to be some law to back up this problem!
Oh and I read your blog via "No Exit's blog and I read that blog via The Kings' English blog. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home