Thursday, June 14, 2007

Reasonable accommodation

I work in a building with 3 floors. I work on the 2nd floor. When the fire alarm goes off, the elevator automatically locks up, so that no one can use it during a fire. Understandable but a little inconvenient for me. In the past, in these situations, 4 guys have carried me and my chair to safety, but we have fewer men working these days, and the ones upon whom I depended most have moved downstairs. Because of their move, my immediate supervisor requested my 7 person department be moved too. In the 14 years I have worked there, it has been so common for departments to relocate, that I can’t even count the times, but in this instance, knowing the situation with me and my chair, the powers that be denied our request to move, citing it as “unfeasible” and basically said I have 2 choices; be carried down without my chair (since the female co-workers couldn’t lift the chair) or work on the first floor alone, without my department. When I requested they reconsider, I was again told moving the department is “unfeasible” and was asked to offer alternative evacuation options. I, being told about the meeting to discuss this only an hour before it happened, could only stress how much I DO NOT want to be carried downstairs for a variety of reasons; pride and an inability to support myself comfortably once out of my chair among them, and suggested they either purchase a chair (customized because of my need for support) to be waiting for me downstairs once I am lifted, or purchase a wheelchair lift attached to the stairwell.

After the shock of the meeting wore off, I’ve decided to withdraw the suggestion about them purchasing a chair; so many things can happen and it just isn’t safe to be carried down. That only leaves the option of me working downstairs by myself, which I feel is segregation, them, buying a wheelchair lift, or moving us all downstairs which would be so much cheaper for them.

I have worked there 14 years and not asked for one accommodation to my disability, and I am so saddened by their attitudes.

Sometimes I just get tired of fighting.

7 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Blogger Jennie said...

I hope they choose to allow your entire department to move. It would be absolutely crazy for you to have to be down there by yourself. I would be tired of fighting, too. I'm so sorry.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I know I know. I am angry for you. That's a form of segregation allright. I hope they listen to the better alternatives that were posed in the beginning...and I am so sorry that you (anyone) would have to fight to get common sense to prevail.
BUZZARDS!

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger juliebelle said...

i wonder what would happen if you brought a letter from a lawyer in?
it's discrimination in the workplace, as far as i am concerned.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gesh. You would think they would want to a)retain one of their most talented, speedy, experienced, and productive artists b)not get sued.

I'm sorry you have to deal with idiots.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well this post just makes me mad...they accomodate everyone else there is not one reason they can't accomodate you! I would definitely put my foot down about it and I'm with juliebelle..bring a letter from a lawyer because that is so discrimination against you as a person. Crazy!
Oh and I read your blog via another friends blog.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger rebstar said...

this makes me so sad and SO angry for you, dear Dana.

FOURTEEN YEARS and not a single request before this one? i feel my bp rising as i type.

i'm really anxious to hear what happens.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger WLB2 said...

Dana,

My name is Billy. I am Tracy's long time friend, who (I don't know if she has ever mentioned it) is a paraplegic in a wheelchair. I have a birth defect called Spina Bifida. First off, let me begin by saying that "I love your blog!" I have had a blogger acccount, but have never really used it. You have inspired me to start.
Second, Have you ever thought to seek out the advice and consultation of a pro bono ADA Lawyer for this dilema your in?
I know a really great one out here in the West Coast (San Diego, Ca.,) that I imagine would love to speak with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home